Monday, October 1, 2007

Week ¾ Sep. 8-22nd

While in Florence, Our program went on many weekend excursions to the Cinque Terra, Siena, Pisa, and Venice!!! I have to say, the Cinque Terra is by far one of the most beautiful places Ive ever been in the world! So beautiful! There are many little seaside villages lined up on the Northwestern coast of Italy, along the Mediterranean Sea.



The say it takes about 12 hours to hike through all the villages in one day, but a few of us hiked through 4 villages in a mere 3 hours, going ALL up hill for 1 of those hours. It was so beautiful along the way, looking at the water, hiking through grape vineyards, and seeing the beautiful beaches in the distance. I definitely want to go back! I got to swim there too which was another highlight of going.


Pisa was also very neat, but there wasn’t much to do there. Siena was another very beautiful but also interesting city. The whole city is divided up into 12 districts, with a specific flag and symbol for each. We visited the district of the “goose”.


You know which district you are in, because there are flags up and down every street. Siena would be very fun to go back to. Finally, During the weekend of my 22nd birthday, we went to Venice!!! “Venezia” is by far one of the biggest highlights of my trip so far. We visited the museums, the Palace, the Duomo, and the Cathedrals. I was so fascinated by the Venetian masks they make for the “Venetian Carnival” every summer. The last night we were there, a bunch of us went on a gondola tour and saw Marco Polo’s house, and some of the oldest families homes in Italy.


The week before we left Florence, we visited the Uffizi gallery where I saw “The Birth of Venus”, and almost died. It was incredible! Then of course, I’m sure you can guess. I saw the exquisite “David”.

Nothing can compare to seeing this in person. I probably stood there in awe for a good 20 minutes. It was unreal. I hope everyone has a chance to go see it sometime in their lifetime. I was a little sad leaving Florence, after finally getting used to the city and learning my way around, but I was ready for a bigger city, so off to Rome!

No comments: