
This past weekend was a non-stop sight seeing adventure! On Friday we drove early in the morning to a hotel on the coast across the water from the volcano Mt. Vesuvius. During the day we visited Pompeii (the city destroyed and buried from the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in the year 79 AD). It was really interesting to see what the homes and city was like almost 2,000 years ago. We went into the city "bath-house" where they also had saunas, and a ice-water bath. You can differentiate the wealthier families with the poor ones, because they had beautiful sculptures and paintings in the entry way of their homes. It was very eerie to see casted bodies that were found buried in the city of the lava and ash.
What made that city more interesting was going to the actual volcana, Mt. Vesuvius on Staurday! We hiked up to the summit and not only saw the steam from inside the volcano, but the most beautiful view of Naples I have ever seen! I snagged a few lava rocks to bring home. :) Our hotel wasnt actually in the city of Naples, "Napoli" but more on the outskirts.

Naples is one of the most dangerous, and dirty cities in Italy, and especially for American students. That night we were caught in the middle of a lightning storm and the power in our hotel kept going in and out and the first floor flooded! It was really neat to watch the lightning over the water with the volcano in the background.
Yesterday, (sunday) since the weather cleared up, we spent the day on the island of Capri!!! (Pronounced "CAW-PREE") On Capri, there is a little Marina with shops, and then 2 towns ontop of the hills; Capri, and Anacapri. We went to Anacapri because it was less touristy, and cheaper. They had a lift you could take to the top of the mountain there, and see the view of the island, it was beautiful!!!!
Definitely a nice change than going to see more museums. :) Im getting nervous, because I start my volunteer job this week. I am teaching English for a few hours a week to kids, either Elementary age, or High School. I find out soon. I hope I do well! The weather here is still hot and sunny, but my true Seattle colors are coming out and I am praying for either rain or cold weather. I know that sounds terrible but theres only so much heat I can take. Until next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment